Dr. Geoffrey Cundiff is Professor and Head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of British Columbia and the Regional Head of Obstetrics & Gynecology for Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. He has broad-based research interests ranging from the epidemiology of pelvic floor disorders, to anatomy, to education, to the prevention of maternal obstetrical trauma. With more than 120 peer reviewed publications and 6 books, he is best known for outcomes research for pelvic floor disorders including, surgical and non-surgical treatments, and has led several multi-centered randomized trials. He has been a pioneer in advocating patient-based outcomes measures and has worked to develop and validate such measures. He is presently a research scientist at the Centre for Health Evaluation Outcomes Sciences and has active trials in reconstructive surgery and obstetrics.
Dr Cundiff’s clinical practice, based at the Centre for Pelvic Floor Competence, is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of pelvic floor disorders. This offers an excellent educational environment, and he is an avid teacher, especially in the operating theatre. For his dedication to education, he has received multiple teaching awards. His present educational initiatives are the development of a competency-based curriculum for resident education and a program for practicing surgeons to expand their surgical skill.
In 2012, Professor Geoffrey Cundiff was appointed as guest professor of Zhejiang University.
- Episiotomy use among vaginal deliveries and the association with anal sphincter injury: a population-based retrospective cohort study. Muraca GM, Liu S, Sabr Y, Lisonkova S, Skoll A, Brant R, Cundiff GW, Stephansson O, Razaz N, Joseph KS.CMAJ. 2019 Oct 21;191(42):E1149-E1158. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.190366.
- Morbidity and Mortality Associated With Forceps and Vacuum Delivery at Outlet, Low, and Midpelvic Station. Muraca GM, Sabr Y, Lisonkova S, Skoll A, Brant R, Cundiff GW, Joseph KS. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2019 Mar;41(3):327-337. doi: 10.1016/j.jogc.2018.06.018. Epub 2018 Oct 23.
- Ecological association between operative vaginal delivery and obstetric and birth trauma. Muraca GM, Lisonkova S, Skoll A, Brant R, Cundiff GW, Sabr Y, Joseph KS. CMAJ. 2018 Jun 18;190(24):E734-E741. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.171076.
- Depression, Anxiety, and Pelvic Floor Symptoms Before and After Surgery for Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. Larouche M, Brotto LA, Koenig NA, Lee T, Cundiff GW, Geoffrion R. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2020 Jan/Feb;26(1):67-72. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0000000000000582.
- Pregnancy-Associated Pelvic Floor Health Knowledge and Reduction of Symptoms: The PREPARED Randomized Controlled Trial. Hyakutake MT, Han V, Baerg L, Koenig NA, Cundiff GW, Lee T, Geoffrion R. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2018 Apr;40(4):418-425. doi: 10.1016/j.jogc.2017.10.022.
- Perinatal and maternal morbidity and mortality among term singletons following midcavity operative vaginal delivery versus caesarean delivery. Muraca GM, Skoll A, Lisonkova S, Sabr Y, Brant R, Cundiff GW, Joseph KS. BJOG. 2018 May;125(6):693-702. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.14820. Epub 2017 Aug 21.
- Is Pelvic Floor Dysfunction an Independent Threat to Sexual Function? A Cross-Sectional Study in Women With Pelvic Floor Dysfunction. Li-Yun-Fong RJ, Larouche M, Hyakutake M, Koenig N, Lovatt C, Geoffrion R, Brotto LA, Lee T, Cundiff GW. J Sex Med. 2017 Feb;14(2):226-237. doi: 10.1016/j.jsxm.2016.11.323. Epub 2016 Dec 29.
- Vaginal and laparoscopic mesh hysteropexy for uterovaginal prolapse: a parallel cohort study. Gutman RE, Rardin CR, Sokol ER, Matthews C, Park AJ, Iglesia CB, Geoffrion R, Sokol AI, Karram M, Cundiff GW, Blomquist JL, Barber MD. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Jan;216(1):38.e1-38.e11. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2016.08.035. Epub 2016 Sep 3.
- Pelvic Floor Health Education: Can a Workshop Enhance Patient Counseling During Pregnancy? Hyakutake MT, Han V, Cundiff GW, Baerg L, Koenig NA, Lee T, Geoffrion R.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2016 Sep-Oct;22(5):336-9. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0000000000000285.
- Temporal trends in obstetric trauma and inpatient surgery for pelvic organ prolapse: an age-period-cohort analysis. Lisonkova S, Lavery JA, Ananth CV, Chen I, Muraca G, Cundiff GW, Joseph KS. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Aug;215(2):208.e1-208.e12. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2016.02.027. Epub 2016 Feb 17.
- What happens to the posterior compartment and bowel symptoms after sacrocolpopexy? evaluation of 5-year outcomes from E-CARE. Grimes CL, Lukacz ES, Gantz MG, Warren LK, Brubaker L, Zyczynski HM, Richter HE, Jelovsek JE, Cundiff G, Fine P, Visco AG, Zhang M, Meikle S; NICHD Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2014 Sep-Oct;20(5):261-6. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0000000000000085.
- Long-term outcomes following abdominal sacrocolpopexy for pelvic organ prolapse. Nygaard I, Brubaker L, Zyczynski HM, Cundiff G, Richter H, Gantz M, Fine P, Menefee S, Ridgeway B, Visco A, Warren LK, Zhang M, Meikle S. JAMA. 2013 May 15;309(19):2016-24. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.4919. Erratum in: JAMA. 2013 Sep 11;310(10):1076.
- PIERS proteinuria: relationship with adverse maternal and perinatal outcome. Payne B, Magee LA, Côté AM, Hutcheon JA, Li J, Kyle PM, Menzies JM, Peter Moore M, Parker C, Pullar B, von Dadelszen P, Walters BN; PIERS Study Group (Appendix), von Dadelszen P, Magee LA, Douglas MJ, Walley KR, Russell JA, Lee SK, Gruslin A, Smith GN, Côté AM, Moutquin JM, Brown MA, Davis G, Walters BN, Sass N, Duan T, Zhou J, Mahajan S, Noovao A, McCowan LA, Kyle P, Moore MP, Bhutta SZ, Bhutta ZA, Hall, Steyn DW, Broughton Pipkin F, Loughna P, Robson S, de Swiet M, Walker JJ, Grobman WA, Lindheimer MD, Roberts JM, Mark Ansermino J, Benton S, Cundiff G, Hugo D, Joseph KS, Lalji S, Li J, Lott P, Ouellet AB, Shaw D, Keith Still D, Tawagi G, Wagner B, Biryabarema C, Mirembe F, Nakimuli A, Tsigas E, Merialdi M, Widmer M. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2011 Jun;33(6):588-597. doi: 10.1016/S1701-2163(16)34907-6.
- The role of urgency, frequency, and nocturia in defining overactive bladder adaptive behavior. Minassian V, Stewart W, Hirsch A, Kolodner K, Fitzgerald M, Burgio K, Cundiff G, Blaivas J, Newman D, Dilley A. Neurourol Urodyn. 2011 Mar;30(3):406-11. doi: 10.1002/nau.20925. Epub 2010 Nov 11.
- Long-term impact of abdominal sacral colpoperineopexy on symptoms of obstructed defecation. Grimes CL, Quiroz LH, Gutman RE, Shippey S, Cundiff GW, Handa VL. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2010 Jul;16(4):234-7. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0b013e3181ed424e.
- Pelvic organ support among primiparous women in the first year after childbirth. Handa VL, Nygaard I, Kenton K, Cundiff GW, Ghetti C, Ye W, Richter HE; Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009 Dec;20(12):1407-11. doi: 10.1007/s00192-009-0937-3. Epub 2009 Sep 24.
- Predictors of variability in urinary incontinence and overactive bladder symptoms. Stewart WF, Minassian VA, Hirsch AG, Kolodner K, Fitzgerald M, Burgio K, Cundiff GW, Blaivas J, Newman D, Lerch VR, Dilley A. Neurourol Urodyn. 2010 Mar;29(3):328-35. doi: 10.1002/nau.20753.
- Magnetic resonance assessment of pelvic anatomy and pelvic floor disorders after childbirth. Handa VL, Lockhart ME, Kenton KS, Bradley CS, Fielding JR, Cundiff GW, Salomon CG, Hakim C, Ye W, Richter HE. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009 Feb;20(2):133-9. doi: 10.1007/s00192-008-0736-2. Epub 2008 Oct 10.
- Enhancing participation of older women in surgical trials. Goode PS, Fitzgerald MP, Richter HE, Whitehead WE, Nygaard I, Wren PA, Zyczynski HM, Cundiff G, Menefee S, Senka JM, Gao X, Weber AM; Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. J Am Coll Surg. 2008 Sep;207(3):303-11. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2008.03.012. Epub 2008 May 19.
- Pelvic support, pelvic symptoms, and patient satisfaction after colpocleisis. Fitzgerald MP, Richter HE, Bradley CS, Ye W, Visco AC, Cundiff GW, Zyczynski HM, Fine P, Weber AM; Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2008 Dec;19(12):1603-9. doi: 10.1007/s00192-008-0696-6. Epub 2008 Aug 9.